March 18, 2013
Welcome to our new weekly update from the Superintendent’s office. It is our goal to provide you with timely information about the things we are working on at the Superintendent’s office. Please feel free to call or email us with questions, comments, and concerns.
We are soliciting titles for this newsletter. Please send your title name to: Pam.Lambert@sendit.nodak.edu
Exposure Control Plan and Universal Precautions:
You recently viewed a Blood borne Pathogens lesson on SafeSchools. Below is the Exposure Control Plan for our district. Additional information may be found in the
District Policy Manual: ACBB: Significant Contagious Diseases.
Please contact your building administrator or the district office, if you would like a copy of this policy.
UNIVERSAL PRECAUTIONS & SANITARY CLEANUP
School personnel should practice hygienic procedures when disposing of all human secretions and excretions since they may contain infectious agents capable of spreading disease and since carriers of infectious or contagious diseases are often unknown.
The steps listed below should be followed in all such clean-up situations. The procedures are not intended to replace basic common sense principles of health and hygiene.
Attending to the Victim
1. Wear disposable gloves when cleaning up all secretions and excretions.
2. Have the victim apply a barrier to the affected area if possible. Any secretions/excretions should be removed with disposable paper towels, gauze, or rags.
3. Secure all cleansing materials, gloves, and other soiled items (e.g., diapers) in plastic bags. Tie bags and dispose in a sanitary disposal site.
4. Bag and send home soiled clothing and/or other personal items. Do not clean or rinse these items at school.
Cleaning & Disinfecting Environment
1. Wear disposable gloves when cleaning up the affected area.
2. Sprinkle the affected area with tuberculocidal agent, absorbent chlorine powder, or disinfectant appropriate to the surface as soon as possible.
3. Clean affected area with disposable paper towels, rags, or with a scoop and brush. Scoops or implements to be reused should be washed and sprayed with disinfectant.
4. Secure gloves and all waste in a plastic bag. Tie bag and dispose in a sanitary disposal site.
Cleanup for Attending Employee
1. Using the following procedures, wash hands immediately after completing the cleaning and disinfecting process.
a. Wet hands and apply antiseptic soap.
b. Rub hands together vigorously for at least 15‑30 seconds, paying particular attention to fingertips, nails, and jewelry.
2. Clean any exposed skin with an appropriate antiseptic (e.g., alcohol, iodine, etc.) and apply a leak proof dressing if appropriate.